A RTMP bridge can be installed on physical or virtualized hardware. The bridge is a Linux based headless server which can be configured to simultaneously convert multiple recorder streams and forward the output to OVS publishing points. The amount of simultaneous streams depends various factors:
- CPU and memory available on the Bridge; each input stream is recalculated into 1 or 2 output streams
- Required output resolution(s) of the forwarding streams;
- Selected bit-rate vs selected resolution; if the bit-rate is not suitable for the resolution, the CPU needs to perform harder to compress the content.
Per input stream you can select a stream mode
- Live (single bit-rate); the input resolution is the output resolution
- Record; record the input stream to a folder on the Bridge;
Based on 4th generation i7 processor results we advice:
- max. 7 Full HD (1920x1080) simultaneous inputs when using single bit-rate output (mode: live).
- max. 10 HD (1280x720) simultaneous inputs when using single bit-rate output (mode: live).
- Ubuntu server 16.04 / 18.04 LTS
- Ffmpeg 3.0
- Nginx 1.78 (16.04) or 1.14.0 on 18.04
- Rackmount or virtual server
- IP address
- Admin username and password (for root level access)
- Unique machine name e.g. RTMPBRIDGE001